I wrote earlier about Strawberry Mittens Well here they are. I’m quite pleased with them, but if I do another pair I think I’ll modify the decrease section. The original is a bit square and the part-strawberry at the beginning and end of the rows makes it difficult to get a neat edge.
My crafting is a bit all over the place right now, and I seem to be jumping from sewing projects to knitting projects and not really getting into anything properly. I blame the moon personally, and things will settle. I had an urge to crack open a lovely skein of Araucania Lonco Multy that’s been around for a few months now, and decided it should become Matilda. Being an Ishbel girl (I have done 7 or 8), this is a real shift for me, but I’m enjoying doing it. The same can’t be said for winding the yarn though. I don’t know why, but it seems to me the manufacturers set out to make it as difficult as possible. I once spent 13 hours untangling an unholy mess that seemed to come from nowhere. I was determined this time to resist the urge to untangle by looping the yarn through, which of course got me in the big mess in the first place. No, this time I was masterful, and at each obstacle I gave the skein a good shake and the tangles fell away although there were way too many to be normal. I got there though, and here’s my embryonic Matilda.
I was just settling into this when a friend called round with a “knitting problem”. I imagined this meant a bit of deciphering, but no, it was much more. She’s not a knitter, but wanted to have a go at a little jacket for her brand new granddaughter – well you would, wouldn’t you! She’d managed the back, but she’s injured herself and can’t get any further. So the plea was for me to finish the jacket, which I’m very happy to do. Pride comes before a fall! I set about it straight away, tutting quietly to myself about the shortcomings of non-knitters, and thinking it’s just as well she’s come to me. I rattled off a sleeve in no time, although I did rather wonder why the pattern was different to the back (after I’d finished the sleeve of course). Consult the pattern. Yip, definitely says moss stitch. Hmm – what exactly is moss stitch? Well, moss stitch is apparently what I thought of as seed stitch (and vice versa). Yes, the expert is at work. So I have now knitted three sleeves. And two fronts. I’ll pick up the stitches for the border today (which is seed stitch, get it through your skull, pinkshoes). In a way, I’m glad I made the mistake (she said through gritted teeth), because it meant there was no possibility of getting it done in the 24 hours available to me before the visit of friend’s daughter and new baby. I would have tried, I really would, and likely made a complete hash of it. This way, after I’d recovered my dignity, I relaxed into it and all will be well. Despite having to knit quite tightly to match up the tension of the non-knitter. Hmm.
To end on a happy note, the tomato seeds I sowed last weekend have germinated – yay! I wondered if they would, being the remains of last year’s packet, but there they are, bursting through with all the vigour of gooduns. I can’t tell you how excited I get, just watching the whole seedling thing. It gets me every single time, and even after years of allotmenting I am so in awe of the process. Beans especially get me in big time. They literally burst through the soil with such determination, pushing every obstacle out of the way. It’s a miracle.